Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wolff's Biergarten

I just wanted to brag about the delicious dinner I had tonight, and to shamelessly promote Wolff's Biergarten.

Wolff's is located at 895 Broadway, in downtown Albany, and the ambiance is that of a firehouse garage (which it is, literally) crossed with a backyard pig roast. There are white lights strung up on the ceilings, as well as (real?) trees and wooden picnic tables, which are basically what conjures up the outdoorsy feel. The large piles of peanut shells next to the seating honestly adds to the charm, making me feel like I could probably envision myself getting shit-faced there in an unprecedented way. (As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any heating in place, either, so the heavy drinking would definitely help one keep warm.)

To start with, I had a delicious German riesling wine (I forgot what kind, unfortunately, but there were only two kinds.) Tommy had the Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel (bottled) which was dark, thick, and went down smooth.

For dinner (which is ordered at a separate spot from the bar) I had Shwabische Rindsrouladen, which is essentially really thinly sliced steak wrapped around a combo of onions, pickles and bacon...With brown sauce on top. Let me just say about the brown sauce--HOLY SHIT. I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it's more or less the nectar of God's nut sack. Anyhow...Beneath the rouladen and said brown sauce, there was a very yummy pile of spƤtzle (chewy noodles made mostly from eggs, flour and water.)

Tommy had the bratwurst plate with sour kraut and German mashed taters. The bratwurst was good, as I expected, but the spuds were particularly top notch: Red potatoes WITH the skins kept on, as well as, I believe, bacon; combined with some sort of magical spice variety.
Sorry, vegetarians--this particular dinner was not for you. However, they do have something on the menu called "vegetarian currywurst" which sounds pretty interesting, and might warrant tasting.
All together our dinners and drinks were $36--pretty reasonable since there was enough leftover rouladen to make two meals. (Which, of course, I did.)
Oh yeah--and Wolff's rocks some pretty kick-ass music, too. I detected a six CD changer loaded with the likes of The Band, Janis Joplin, Van Morrison, Lou Reed, and...One other classic rocker, whose name currently escapes me. Anyway, frequent this place, people! I don't want to see it go the way of many other wonderful establishments in Albany...Straight out of business.

No comments: