Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gypsies

Ever since I was small, I have been obsessed with gypsies and their culture.  I have always felt a kinship with Roma (gypsy) people; maybe due in part to some of the myths or half-truths the mention of gypsies seem to conjure up. Either way, the books that I have read, movies that I have seen and especially the photographs I've enjoyed have always inspired me in a profound way.

Things I like about gypsies/gypsy myth:

1) I find that I have a hard time staying in one place for long, so I guess I identify with any sort of nomadic people.  The idea of having your friends/family and home with you, whether it be a traditional caravan or portable tent-like set-up, appeals to me.  I don't like the idea of having a home that could be foreclosed upon, flooded or destroyed in some way.  The portability of nomadic life seems to remedy this, mostly. 

2) Eschewing traditional employment.  I know that gypsies have often carried a reputation of being thieves and tricksters, but I think that is probably racist and unfair just as any other stereotypes would be.  I have a difficult time with traditional employment, myself, and I sometimes wonder if it is because I'm descended from a culture of tribal peoples who bartered or lived in a communal setting with shared responsibility.  Work like cooking, cleaning, sewing and gardening make me a lot more fulfilled than laboring in a capitalism-based customer service setting. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it doesn't feel right for me. I have a lot of respect for peoples who live tribally/communally still, and survive this way.  I think some variation of this is the natural, healthy way for humans.

3) I love to sing and listen to/make music, and to dance!  Gypsies pretty much rock at all of these things.  I saw a really great documentary called "Gadjo Dilo" that is mostly about the music and cultural traditions of gypsies around the world.  It's basically my favorite documentary ever.

4) Gypsy fashion.  The mismatched patterns, rainbow array of colors, gold and silver jewelry, scarves.  I want to dress like this everyday, and I wish everyone else would, too!  It's not even just the clothes, though--it's the infusion of color and spirit into every part of one's environment, even and especially with access to little money.  I think that there is quite a lot of grace in living this way:  Simply, colorfully, and with whimsy. 

Here is one of my favorite photo collections in the world to show you guys what I mean.  It is all images of the Roma People.  The pictures are by Joakim Eskildsen, an amazing photographer! I hope you love this as much as I do.

No comments: