Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cognitive Therapy

Alright, so I have this really horrible problem--I don't want to share things I discover.  Art, movies, books/magazines, and ESPECIALLY music. When I find something I REALLY like...I hoard it all to myself; stroking it in private, muttering to myself about it incessantly, trying to keep it secret for my own selfish pride.  If someone tries to encroach on the thing, even unknowingly--I become ferocious, pouncing on the poor intruder with totally uncalled for jealousy and greed.

But, sometimes it happens that I feel a serious moral dilemma in not sharing said thing.  If the world would be worse off for my not sharing, then I have to think twice about keeping it to myself.  Could I really do that to humanity?

This is why, after a few days of deliberation, I am telling you guys about Cryptacize.

I went to see The Fiery Furnaces at Revolution Hall the other night, and Cryptacize (whom I had never heard of, prior) was the opening band.  I pretty much fell in love instantly.

They sound like a Zoe Deschanel fronted, Pet Sounds era Beach Boys, crossed with Deerhoof. (which is no surprise, since the guitarist is a former member of that band.) However, I think  Cryptacize is actually more accessible for audiences [than Deerhoof is] due to the fact that they write more relatable lyrics. (No offense, Deerhoof--you guys rock!)

The 1960's surf-y vibe is unmistakable, but it's not cutesy or stale sounding. This is probably due to the gorgeous female vocals, and the aforementioned real-life lyrics.   Every note oozes California nostalgia, in the best possible way. I must admit, I got a little teary-eyed at times...This band reminds me why I love the West Coast so much.

Start off with the impossibly catchy song, "Mane and Tail."  (Probably my favorite so far.) Then, move on to the coy warnings of "New Spell." And, if "Galvanize" doesn't make you want to blubber like an infant, you honestly have no soul.

After you hear these three songs, you might as well just throw your hands up and purchase Mythomania, the band's second album, in its entirety.  I am the kind of person that is...Well, kind of cheap.  We won't get into my heritage or other speculations as to why. The the fact of the matter is that I don't ever buy things unless I find it absolutely necessary.  If there is a song I really like, I will buy just that--one song...If there are no download options available.  (Probably, being broke has something to do with this.) However, this time I sashayed right over to itunes (with my fingers, anyway) and bought all of Mythomania.
It was $10 well spent, and I have no regrets.



I recommend you do the same.

No comments: